Woodworking can be both an additive and subtractive process where pieces of wood are cut, shaped, joined, and finished to create the desired object.
One benefit to woodworking is having control of the object throughout the entire process. The actual wood being cut, shaped, and joined, is a piece of the final object. Another benefit is the beauty, warmth, and uniqueness of the material itself. Each piece has the signs of being a living material!
Our 2,500 square foot Woodworking Department is well equipped with the following to make most wooden objects safely and effectively from sheet goods, hardwood, and lumber:
- SawStop Professonal 52”, 3HP Tablesaw
- Safety Speed 64” x 120” Vertical Panel Saw
- 10” Compound Miter Saw
- (2) 14” Bandsaws
- 18” Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- 15” Variable Speed Drill Press
- 6” Jointer
- 15” Planer
- 12" Full-Size, Variable Speed Wood Lathe
- Many Wood Turning Tools
- Sharpening Station
- Steam Bender (4” x 120” capacity)
- Router Table
- Mortising Machine
- Tenoning Jig
- Biscuit Joiner
- 6” x 48” Belt / 12” Disc Combo Sander
- 6” x 89” Horizontal Oscillating Belt Sander
- Dedicated Finishing Room for Wipe-On Finishes
- Chemical and Finishing Supply Storage
- Access to Metal Shop Finishing Room / Spray Booth during Class time, with Instructor Guidance
- Access to Metal Shop Finishing Room / Spray Booth during Open Studio Access time, with appropriate STUC
- Cyclone Dust Collection, Air Filtration Units
- Assortment of hand and power tools
- Material and Supplies offered for purchase in Department Shop
- Storage for Material, Supplies, and Projects in Department Shop
Become a Member of CIADC and receive discounted tuition and Studio Access rates!
Studio Access is work time outside of Class time, and available to all current Students and former Students.